This 2018, the National Teachers’ Month (NTM), celebrated from September 5 to October 5, marks its 10th year milestone anniversary with the theme “Gratitude In10sified”.
This year, the goal is to intensify all efforts honoring our teachers by encouraging various stakeholders to express their gratitude through the 4 As of Gratitude: Appreciation, Approval, Admiration, and Attention.
The 4 A’s of Gratitude: Appreciation, Admiration, Approval, and Attention.
The NTM movement started in 2008 when former DepEd secretary and currently De La Salle Philippines president Br. Armin Luistro approached Metrobank Foundation president Aniceto Sobrepeña and proposed the idea of a month-long observation to heighten public consciousness and participation in the World Teachers’ Day celebration every October 5. Other organizations were then invited to spearhead the celebration, then called the Teachers’ Month Campaign (TMC).
Over time, the campaign has become a multi-sectoral movement—specifically engaging sectors which work closely with teachers. The movement have also seen growth in numbers, eventually becoming the nationwide celebration as it is known today. Since its inception 10 years ago, NTM marked several milestones: in 2011, Presidential Proclamation No. 242 was signed, formally declaring “the period from September 5 to October 5 of every year as National Teachers’ Month.” With its issuance, TMC formally became National Teachers’ Month.
Five years later, Republic Act No. 10743 was signed, formally designating “October 5 of every year as National Teachers’ Day.”
10 ACTS OF GRATITUDE
On its 10th year, the NTM Coordinating Council—composed of various government agencies, educational institutions, private companies and non-government organizations, all sharing in the advocacy of appreciating teachers—has adopted 10 major activities in collaboration with various organizations.
Dubbed as the 10 Acts of Gratitude, these activities will showcase the Council members’ unique expressions of gratitude for our teachers.
The Council’s 2018 major activities are:
1.TEACH FOR A DAY – in partnership with Teach for the Philippines, this activity will feature professionals who will spend a day teaching in classroom together with a Teach for the Philippines Fellow.
2. TEACHER DAY OUT – in collaboration with various museums, teachers will have their educational tours in these museums for free.
3. NTM LECTURE SERIES – Around 150 teachers will get to attend a three-day lecture series covering various topics on cyber-education to be facilitated by SEAMEO-INNOTECH, Globe Telecom, Smart Communications, and World Vision.
4. 39TH MANILA INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR – teachers visiting the 39th Manila International Book Fair from September 12 to 16 will get to enter for free at the Hall 1 entrance of SMX Convention Center in Pasay City. An NTM Booth managed by the Metrobank Foundation will be set up at the Hall 1 entrance wherein everyone can participate in the activities while teachers can get a chance to win prizes.
5. ALTERNATIVE NATIONAL SEMINAR CONFERENCE – hosted by Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), this seminar-conference will focus on the theme, “Educator’s Life Care Conversation, Artshop, and Playshop Conference”. Around 300 teachers will be invited to attend this free 3-day conference.
6. TEACHER QUALITY FORUM – Philippine Business for Education (PBED) will host this one-of-a-kind forum which highlights the state of teacher quality in the Philippines, as well as global innovations and trends in teacher development. The forum will also serve to pave the way for crafting concrete policy recommendations for raising teacher quality in the country.
7. NTM DIGITAL CAMPAIGN – this month-long digital campaign will highlight the culture of gratitude for teachers on social media. The official hashtags #ThankYouTeacherPH and #2018NTM shall be used.
8. “SALAMAT PO, TEACHER” LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN – in this campaign, Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPOST) seeks promote a culture of appreciation for teachers through letter writing. On another front, PHLPOST releases a specially-designed NTM stamp which the public can use when they mail their letters.
9. 10 TEACHERS, 10 YEARS – the proposed online series by Rappler.com will highlight 10 extraordinary teachers celebrating their 10th year in service this 2018.
10. PERSONALITIES SAY “THANK YOU” – in this AVP series, executives, influencers, and key personalities from various companies and organizations will have an opportunity to say “Thank You” to their mentors and share what important lessons they have learned from them.
Another highlight of the annual NTM celebrations is the Teachers’ Treats offered from September 5 to October 5. Throughout the month, teachers get to enjoy exclusive treats and discounts at various establishments throughout the country.
Teachers will once again get to enjoy free entrance and tours in participating museums in Metro Manila like The Mind Museum, Museo Pambata, Ayala Museum, Yuchengco Museum, and Metropolitan Museum as well as museums outside Manila like Museo Orlina, BenCab Museum, and Museo Kordilyera.
Teachers will also get to enjoy exclusives like free admission to events like the 39th Manila International Book Fair and the “Panoramic Endeavors” Lecture Series by Metrobank Foundation and the United Architects of the Philippines. Participating restaurants and retail establishments will also offer treats and discounts on products and services.
2018 NATIONAL TEACHERS’ DAY
As NTM’s culminating event, the Department of Education brings the 2018 National Teachers’ Day celebrations to Region VIII. Ormoc City will host the biggest gathering of teachers on October 5 wherein 6,000 teachers will gather for a day of entertainment and tribute. This year’s theme “Gurong Pilipino: Turo Mo, Kinabukasan Ko” puts spotlight on Filipino teachers as catalysts of empowering learners to realize their potential and achieve their life goals.